Styling Mocap

The problems in my last post were not resolved. I believe the problem didn’t have to do specifically with my character rig but rather in the way the Maya’s HumanIK system works as I had the same problem with other rigs. I decided to ignore the issue and work only with the initially recorded mocap data.

The editing process can be time-consuming depending on the amount of work done for the other parts. It’s like┬ádoing keyframe animation but with a base to work on. The steps include resampling the recorded data – which cuts out extra keys and averages out the values of the keys. It allowed me to manipulate the data more easily. Then I would find parts of the animation where I felt the mocap was lacking and create a pose for the character that I felt would be better. Then I cut or moved neighboring keys accordingly to have the character’s movement flow somewhat smoothly. I think you can see the difference between the original and modified versions fairly well.


All in all, I spent about 12 or so hours working on this project but a majority of it was researching how to fix the problems with my rigs whereas I spent a total of about 20 hours on the keyframe animation that started all of this. If I had put some more time into the beginning of the project when I recorded the original mocap, I have no doubt there would have been less work to do when I had to edit the data. The mocap pipeline lets us create large animation files then focus on fixing aspects of it instead of creating new animations from scratch.

Pasan Dharmasena
Posted on:
Post author

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: